Please note that the TimeRef website is currently being redesigned. This page shows what the rest of site will eventually look like.
|County||Devon (10 castles)||Categories|
|Remains||Excellent remains||Access||Only open at certain times|
|Location||50.7221,-3.53||Directions||Directions via Google Maps|
|Devon (10 castles)|
|Only open at certain times|
|Directions via Google Maps|
Dimensions of main church
|West wall to east window||320||0|
|Length of nave||165||0|
|Height of nave||68||0|
|Width of nave||72||0|
|Length of choir||130||0|
|Height of towers||130||0|
The See of Devon and Cornwall had been located at Crediton in Devon but in 1050 Edward the Confessor moved the See to Exeter. This moved the cathedral from an obscure location to a more important one. Edward gave the new Bishopric to Leofric.
The second Norman bishop at Exeter, Warelwast started the construction of a new cathedral because he was not happy with the current building.
At Exeter Cathedral major rebuilding work took place from 1258 under the control of Bishop Bronescombe who had been impressed by a visit to the new cathedral at Salisbury.
Bishop Bitton rebuilt the choir at Exeter Cathedral between 1292 and 1307.
At bExeter Cathedral the smaller choir transepts, rood screen and sedilia were all constructed between 1308 and 1326 under Bishop Stapledon.