Please note that the TimeRef website is currently being redesigned. This page shows what the rest of site will eventually look like.
Dimensions of main church
|West wall to east window||410||0|
|Length of nave||205||0|
|Height of nave||72||0|
|Width of nave||81||0|
|Length of choir||133||0|
|Height of central tower||218||0|
|Height of western towers||144||0|
Bishop Aldhun, the first Bishop of Durham, consecrated a cathedral at the location where the remains of St. Cuthbert had been relocated to. The remains were at Lindisfarne and were moved because of the danger of Viking raids.
Durham Cathedral was the first building in Western Europe with ribbed vaulting in the ceiling.
Work on the nave vaulting lasted from 1128 until 1133.
The Chapter house at Durham Cathedral was begun in 1133 and took until 1140.
The Galilee porch on the West front of Durham Cathedral was built between 1170 and 1175.
The Chapel of the Nine Altars in built on the east end of Durham Cathedral between 1242 and 1280.