Please note that the TimeRef website is currently being redesigned. This page shows what the rest of site will eventually look like.
|County||Norfolk (6 castles)||Categories|
|Remains||Excellent remains||Access||Only open at certain times|
|Location||52.6317,1.3006||Directions||Directions via Google Maps|
|Norfolk (6 castles)|
|Only open at certain times|
|Directions via Google Maps|
The two bishoprics of East Anglia and Dunwich (Suffolk) were merged into one and moved to Thetford which was an important town at the time and was in a central location.
Herbert de Losinga purchased the see (seat of the bishop) for the area around Norwich. The bishops seat was at Thetford but Herbert moved it to Norwich itself before starting the construction of a new cathedral.
Work starts on Norwich Cathedral.
Work on the nave and central tower was begun in 1121 after the choir and transept. Work finished in 1145.
Some repair work was carried out at the Cathedral after the fire in 1170 (or 1171).
The Chapter-house at Norwich Cathedral was under construction between 1289 and 1303.
Cloisters at Norwich Cathedral were built between 1297 and 1318.
A fierce storm or hurricane hit Britain and the spire at Norwich Cathedral fell. The spire damaged the presbytery as came down..
Lightning once again hit the wooden and lead spire at Norwich Cathedral causing a fire that spread to the roof. After this disaster stone was used in the roof to provide vaulting and used in the new spire to replace the wood.
Repairs at Norwich Cathedral, because of a fire, resulted in the transept roofs being replaced by stone vaulting.