his castle, also known as Dynevor Castle, is located within the grounds of Dinefwr Park. It was an important castle
in the Deheubarth region of south Wales and was the principal seat of the rulers of the area. Set high above the Twyi valley it gives commanding views of the land below. Although a fortification must have existed on the site in pre-medieval times it is first mentioned in 1163 when Rhys ap Gruffydd, also known as Lord Rhys took possession of it. After the death of Lord Rhys in 1197 his many sons fought amongst themselves for power and the castle swapped hands many times. In around 1220 Llywelyn the Great,, the prince of Gwynedd ordered Rhys Gryg, one of Lord Rhys' sones to dismantle the castle. The castle may have been destroyed but soon a new castle was being constructed. The ruins that can be explored today consist of a five-sided inner bailey
and a huge round tower keep. In 1277 the Welsh owner at the time surrendered the castle to the English and it remained in English hands from then on. It was able to withstand a siege
in 1403 by supporters of Owain Glyndwr. By the end of the fifteenth century the castle had been abandoned by its owner, Sir Rhys ap Thomas, who had moved into more suitable accomodation.