nly the earthworks of this former large motte and bailey castle are all that remain. Built by Payn Fitz-John sometime before 1137. The motte once supported a round tower and the bailey is roughly rectangular in shape. William de Braose held the castle towards the end of the 12th Century. The castle was attacked by the Welsh several times while being held by de Braose. Gwenwynwyn of Powys attacked the castle after de Braose had his cousin tied to a horse, dragged through the streets and beheaded. But the castle did not fall to the Welsh leader of Powys as de Broase had managed to get the help of the southern Welsh princes. King John took control of the castle in around 1208 shortly before it was attacked again in 1215. The castle was rebult in 1231 in the reign of Henry III but attacked and damaged by the Welsh in 1265.


Key Facts
CountyPowys (11 castles)
CategoriesMotte & Bailey
RemainsEarthworks only
Access to siteAt any reasonable time
TimeRef Comments
Appears to be freely accessible, but please do not trespass if o private land.
YearMonthEvent
No Items
emains of a motte and bailey castle.


Key Facts
CountyCarmathenshire (7 castles)
DirectionsThe village of Pencader is about eleven miles to the north of Carmathen off the A485 and B4459
CategoriesMotte & Bailey
RemainsEarthworks only
Access to siteUnknown - Please check before visiting
YearMonthEvent
No Items
endennis Castle was built in around 1540 by Henry VIII at the entrance to the River Fal at Falmouth. This area known as Carrick Roads is a natural deep water harbour. On the other side of the river's mouth a second castle was built called St. Mawes. Pendennis is built high above the river and is circular in shape with many openings for guns. A low curtain wall surrounds the tower.


Key Facts
CountyCornwall (6 castles)
DirectionsOn Pendennis Point at the southern end of Falmouth
CategoriesHenry VIII Gun Fort
OwnershipRoyal castle
RemainsExcellent remains
Access to siteOnly open at certain times
TimeRef Rating
YearMonthEvent
Early Modern Period (1500-1800)
1540   Construction of Pendennis and St. Mawes Castles
 Henry VIII had a pair of castles built at the mouth of the River Fal near Falmouth in Cornwall. The River mouth is a natural deep water harbour and needed protecting from invasion.[1] 
emains of a large Norman castle with round keep. Located in south Wales a few miles north of Oxwich. Originally of wooden construction the castle was rebuilt in stone during the thirteenth century.


Key Facts
CountySwansea (3 castles)
CategoriesStone
RemainsSmall amount survives
Access to siteUnknown - Please check before visiting
TimeRef Comments
The castle now forms part of a private estate with holiday cottage for rent. Access to the castle itself is not known.
YearMonthEvent
No Items
emains of a motte and bailey castle. On private land. Exact location not known.


Key Facts
CountyConwy (6 castles)
CategoriesMotte & Bailey
RemainsEarthworks only
Access to siteNo Access - Private
YearMonthEvent
No Items
emains of a stone castle situated on a commanding position on the edge of a cliff.


Key Facts
CountyDerbyshire (1 castle)
DirectionsVery close to the village of Castleton in the Peak District, Derbyshire
CategoriesStone / Cliff-top
RemainsSmall amount survives
Access to siteOnly open at certain times
TimeRef Rating
TimeRef Comments
Quote a steep walk from the village to the castle
YearMonthEvent
No Items
he design of the castle has altered greatly over time so it is not known what the original fortifications consisted of. What exists today is a large rectangular block with four attached round towers and a small double-towered gatehouse. Picton Castle is the successor of the nearby Wiston Castle.


Key Facts
CountyPembrokeshire (12 castles)
CategoriesStone
OwnershipBaronial castle
RemainsNot complete but much survives
Access to siteOnly open at certain times
TimeRef Comments
The castle is privately owned and visitors can take a guided tour. See the Picton Castle website for me information.
YearMonthEvent
No Items
his medieval stone castle was built by the Abbot of the nearby Furness Abbey on an island to protect the harbour of Barrow-in-Furness.


Key Facts
CountyCumbria (6 castles)
DirectionsOn Piel Island and access is via small boats at certain times of the year.
CategoriesStone
RemainsNot complete but much survives
Access to siteOnly open at certain times
YearMonthEvent
No Items
emains of a large motte and bailey castle.


Key Facts
CountyEssex (7 castles)
DirectionsPleshey is a village about eight miles to the north-west of Chelmsford on minor roads
CategoriesMotte & Bailey / Stone
RemainsEarthworks only
Access to siteUnknown - Please check before visiting
YearMonthEvent
No Items
emains of a motte and bailey castle.


Key Facts
CountyDevon (10 castles)
DirectionsPlympton is located to the east of the city of Plymouth which it is a suburb of. The castle is situated towards the south of Plympton
CategoriesMotte & Bailey
RemainsJust the motte remains
Access to siteUnknown - Please check before visiting
YearMonthEvent
No Items
ossible remains of a motte and bailey castle


Key Facts
CountyDorset (7 castles)
DirectionsJust to the south-east of the village of Powerstock. Powerstock is about five miles to the north-east of Bridport
CategoriesMotte & Bailey
RemainsEarthworks only
Access to siteUnknown - Please check before visiting
YearMonthEvent
No Items
ow a mansion of the site on a medieval castle.


Key Facts
CountyPowys (11 castles)
DirectionsJust to the south of Welshpool
Categories
Now a mansion
RemainsExcellent remains
Access to siteOnly open at certain times
TimeRef Rating
YearMonthEvent
No Items
emains of a motte and bailey castle built on low lying land. Unusually the motte is situated at the centre of the bailey. The castle was built in around 1164 by the Norman Robert Banastre but abandoned a few years later when he moved to Lancashire.It was attacked by the Welsh in 1167.


Key Facts
CountyDenbighshire (4 castles)
DirectionsIn Prestatyn town, just to the west of Nant Hall Hotel. Appears to have a public path alongside it but check access before visiting.
CategoriesMotte & Bailey
RemainsEarthworks only
Access to siteNo Access - Private
YearMonthEvent
No Items
emains of a major Norman stone castle built on a hill just to the south of the River Tyne. The owners of the site in the reign of Henry I were the Umfraville family and they built a castle. In 1173 William the Lion, the Scottish King attempted to take control of Northumberland. The then owner of Prudhow was Odinel, a former friend of the king, refused to help so the Scots besieged the castle. Both in 1173 and a year later the Scots were unable to break the castle's defences. The entrance to the inner ward of the castle is via a passage through an oblong barbican. Once through the babrican any attacker would have to overcome a raised drawbridge and gatehouse. The gatehouse had a chapel in a room above the entrance and a later addition of a third floor. Much of the curtain wall still remains at Prudhoe and a tower at the north-east of the ward. In the western half of the ward are the remains of the 12th century keep. At the centre of the castle is a modern house that acts now as a shop and exhibition area.


Key Facts
CountyNorthumberland (15 castles)
DirectionsIn the town of Prudhoe which is about eleven miles to the west of Newcastle upon Tyne
CategoriesStone
RemainsNot complete but much survives
Access to siteOnly open at certain times
YearMonthEvent
1174 Jun 13  The Battle of Alnwick
 William I, king of Scotland invaded England to help fight in the baronial rebellion against Henry II. The Scottish King attacked the castle at Prudhoe but was unable to capture it. William was captured at the Battle of Alnwick and the rebellion came to an end. He was transported to Falaise in Normandy where he would later sign a peace treaty.

Episode: Rebellion against Henry II  
1462   Prudhoe Castle granted to the Duke fo Clarence
 Both Prudhoe Castle and Warkworth Castle were granted by King Edward IV to his brother George Duke of Clarence.[2] 
emains of a small motte and bailey castle.


Key Facts
CountyCheshire (4 castles)
DirectionsPulford is a village about eight miles to the north-east of Wrexham just off the A483. The castle is near the church
CategoriesMotte & Bailey
RemainsEarthworks only
Access to siteUnknown - Please check before visiting
YearMonthEvent
No Items
Please note that this area should be showing an interactive map of events. This area will not show if you are currently using an older version of web browser. The map viewer viewer has been tested on IE9 and the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.


 
Peebles Castle
  55.652 -3.215663 (NT23604050)
Penard Castle
  51.57651 -4.102557 (SS54408850)
Pendragon Castle
  54.41837 -2.337449 (NY78200260)
 
 

TimeRef UK Castles Mobile App for Android Phone

This Android Phone app allows you to find castles thar are near you. Currently the app includes only English and Welsh castles.

View Details in Google Play Store

View Instructions