Please note that the TimeRef website is currently being redesigned. This page shows what the rest of site will eventually look like.
|County||Lincolnshire (4 castles)||Categories|
|Remains||Excellent remains||Access||Only open at certain times|
|Location||53.2344,-0.5373||Directions||Directions via Google Maps|
|Lincolnshire (4 castles)|
|Only open at certain times|
|Directions via Google Maps|
The Norman Bishop of Fecamp began work on the first Cathedral church at Lincoln. The bishop's see had been moved from Dorchester-on-Thames.
The roof of the Cathedral burnt down. Bishop Alexander the Magnificent started rebuilding work.
King Stephen's 'crown wearing' ceremony was held in Lincoln at Christmas.
Earth tremors damaged the Cathedral at Lincoln beyond repair. The earthquake must have been very powerful as it was said that it was felt throughout the country. Only the West front survived in good shape and rest of the building had to be demolished.
There was an eclipse of the Sun on this day over the north of Europe. Interestingly, there was an earthquake that damaged Lincoln Cathedral in 1185. Did the earthquake happen before or after the eclipse? Are the two events related?
After the damaging earth tremors of 1185 Bishop Hugh of Lincoln started rebuilding work on the Cathedral at Lincoln. His new scheme was followed even after his death apart from minor alterations up to the completion of the Angel Choir in 1280.
Work on the choir and east transept progressed between 1192 and 1200.
Work began on the Lincoln Cathedral's main West transept, or Great transept in 1200.
Lincoln's Chapter-house was constructed between 1220 and 1235.
During a sermon by one of the canons of the cathedral, the newly finished central tower collapsed burying some of the congregation.
Work began on the construction of the Angel Choir at Lincoln Cathedral in order to house the body of St. Hugh. Work was completed in 1280. The celebration of the movement of the body was attended by Edward I, the Queen and many important figures of the time.
The central tower at Lincoln Cathedral was constructed between 1306/7 and 1311.